Friday, January 04, 2008

Photoshop Elements - Migrating to Version 6

Well, I thought my migration to Adobe Photoshop Elements Version 6 was complete - and I was very happy with the way things had gone.

Until, I needed to print one of my pre-migration dated images.

I was greeted the following, rather unfriendly dialog, and could not print.

Wtf? I was concerned to say the least.

I re-traced some of my steps ...
  • newly edited photos would print ok
  • new (Version 6) photos were ok
  • old (pre-version 6) photos were ok
  • old, edited photos were NOT ok
I smelled a rat with the migration process for edited images. The edited images had seemed to be imported as version sets correctly. I did a bit more checking. The following grab shows a typical (albeit) sample image:



Note that the original image in the Version set is selected, and the Size attributes are displayed correctly in the Properties window.

Now, have a look at this next one, with the newer image from the Version set selected:



I've highlighted the problem area - the image width and height are missing. This was pointing to all not being well with the edited image.

I waded through the information on the Adobe support site here, I couldn't find any exact match. I even resorted to the forums, which are extremely painful to use - and still no match.

So, I thought - there's nothing for it but to submit a bug report. This itself was fairly painless, but disappointing:
  1. no reference number, or tracking information was returned.
  2. no acknowledgment that a bug had even been reported (via email, for example).
However, I was determined not to be beaten by this. I went back to the support documents, and found that a number of suggested fixes finished with the recommendation to use the "Update Thumbnail" command. What the? I didn't think that this would be appropriate for me - since my thumbnails looked fine, thank you very much.

Well, I thought - what could possibly go wrong ?

I'm pleased to report that - it actually fixed the problem!! Woo hoo. I was a little surprised, but relieved to say the least. A few years of editing had not been lost.

I was wondering why I needed to do this though - I used the supported Catalog conversion process. If PSE needed my thumbnails to be updated, I would have preferred them to be done as part of the migration process.

However, this exercise did open my eyes to the strange support mechanisms provided by Adobe. When the product itself sports a gleaming new interface, it's a little sad that the support facilities are somewhat lacking - and in case of those forums, downright primitive.

If any Adobe guys are around - I guess you can close my bug report too :-)

No comments: